So the summer holidays are here! As a Mum, that used to fill me with relief at the thought of a six week vacation from the dreaded packed lunch prep, but at the same time the feeling of panic.
How was I going to keep the girls entertained for that long, without needing to take out a second mortgage to pay for it? Fortunately, my girls are at the age where they entertain themselves and don’t need Mummy Kindergarten anymore, but there was a time when I had to be the carnival clown, providing around the clock entertainment.
So with that in mind, here’s my top 5 FREE things to do with kids on the beach, to keep them happy and occupied and, more importantly, don’t cost a penny.
- SAND SCULPTURES – Sand castles are so last year! Create your own characters using your buckets and spades. Sculpt into the sand, add seaweed hair, pebbles for eyes, driftwood for teeth and shells for buttons.
- NATURAL ART – Look at the work of Andy Goldsworthy and Richard Long and create your own piece of land art using natural materials found on the beach. Don’t forget to take a photo of your creation.
- PEBBLE STACKS – have competitions to see who can build the tallest pebble tower. How many will you get to before they come tumbling down?
- HIDDEN TREASURES – take a small pack of felt pens to the beach with you and decorate pebbles with pretty patterns and designs, leaving them behind for other people to find.
- BEACH BOARD GAMES – create your own noughts and crosses, draughts or Connect Four, by drawing grids into the sand with a stick and using pebbles or shells for counters.
For more project ideas and art projects, check out my Facebook page at Rachel Shilston – Inspiring Creativity, plus keep an eye out for future blogs on things to do with the kids.